The Choir School is hiring!
The Choir School is poised to expand in 2020 by hiring a Managing Director to partner with Artistic Director Peter Stoltzfus Berton. It is not a requirement that the Managing Director have any musical skills, simply a love of music and a heart for children. The Managing Director position will be 32 hours a week on average. Please see the full job description at https://bit.ly/2Op8j8x for complete details, and feel free to circulate it widely! Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter addressed to Marvin Abney, Board Chair pro tempore, at email@example.com. The application period will remain open until the position is filled.
See the Ensembles page for contact information for each division to set up an audition/interview.
Download our 2019-2020 Season Program Book, detailing our events, advertisers, and supporters.
Read about our 2018 tour in the Friends of Cathedral Music Newsletter September 2018
Learn more about our 2018 England Tour
Newportopoly© on sale at Newport retailers: A unique gift!
Pictures/audio of July 2016 tour to Washington, DC: Click here
Click to read article giving national coverage to the School: TLC May 1
Printer-friendly informational brochure: CSNC brochure
The Choir School of Newport County
An innovative partnership created by Emmanuel Church, Trinity Church and the Zabriskie Memorial Church of St. John the Evangelist, Newport, for all of Newport County
Forming Lives of Character and Service through the joy and discipline of choral music, enabled by a unified curriculum and the faculty resources of several participating institutions. The idea is hardly new, but the unique partnership here is…enabling overlapping schedules and creative teaching approaches to fast-track your child to success.
The ensembles of The Choir School give boys and girls a special opportunity for developing the values of self-esteem, a positive attitude, respect, team spirit, discipline, and service to others. Making music at the highest level, ultimately alongside adult singers, with professional, adult expectations, is the vehicle for developing these gifts. Singers in intergenerational choirs gain experience and confidence to meet many of the challenges of their future lives.
Visit the ENSEMBLES page to learn more about each division:
Professional Choristers for ages 7 1/2 and up: Rehearsals in progress at Church of St. John the Evangelist.
Download a flyer about our new CSNC Piano Lesson program for choristers qualifying for free or reduced-price lunches
Emmanuel Angel Choir for ages 4-7: Tuesday Rehearsals, 4:00 to 4:40 p.m., at Church of St. John the Evangelist.
What a child can expect…
• Singing well is hard work, and also a lot of fun!
• Making new friends who are as excited about music as you are
• Travel, non-singing activities, and a fantastic choir camp in August
• Sing the world’s greatest choral music in its original form with adult singers, not simplified versions
• For professional choristers, a monthly stipend is paid for weekday and Sunday rehearsals, based on your attendance and level. Stipends range from about $12 to $40 per month.
• The churches of The Choir School are beautiful, safe, inspiring places.
What a parent can expect…
• Brain Power! The study of music stimulates and often dramatically improves a child’s overall intellectual development and academic performance. A choral education teaches problem solving, spatial reasoning, cooperation, and an appreciation of excellence, along with patience.
• Community. Parents will find themselves part of an extended and vital “choir family,” proud of the whole team
The Choir School’s constituent churches are affiliated with the Royal School of Church Music in America. While our faculty and services are part of the rich Episcopal tradition of choral training and performance, religious affiliation is not expected or required of students. For more information see: http://rscmamerica.org/about-rscm-america.html